Do Self-Help and Self-Improvment Books Work?





Recently, in my personal and professional life, I've hit a wall.


Not just any wall... a wall made of the thickest steel in the world and nothing would bring it down.


Now, I'm not going to bored you with my self-pity party details, because everyone has problems in their lives and that isn't what this is about. 


In January, I turned the big 3-9! Yep, my thirties are almost in the past and the I'm knocking on forty's door. Normally, I'm okay with my birthday. Usually, my spouse takes me out, I drink a bottle of wine by myself (well, that's any given day - but my birthday one will be expensive, not the Kroger ON SALE Tag kind I normally look for on an average day) and at the end of the night, I will have a LARGE piece of cake (or maybe the whole cake - whichever!).


However, this year it was different.


I should have been proud of being 39. In 2018, I lost 60 pounds. I hit the USA Bestseller List. I landed an incredible day job and a promotion at the said job. So, when January 10th hit (that's my birthday, BTW), I should have been on top of the world.


Instead, I cried. 


I cried because I didn't sale as many books in 2018 as in 2017 and 2019 was starting out like crap.


I cried because I had a deadline looming and I wasn't sure I'd make it and I know my readers have been waiting on the book.


I cried because I had gained 6 pounds and hadn't been in the gym since (well, before) Thanksgiving.


I cried because I was tired of crying.


You get the point, right?


Come the Monday after my birthday I felt like I was buried in emotions I had never felt before. See, if you don't know me personally, I'll let you in on a secret. I'm happy. All the time! No joke! I'm that person with the smile on her face first thing in the morning (without coffee or caffeine). I look to the positive on every topic and when things go bad, I still smile. I have a Type A personality, but not as Alpha as others. And I’m a fixer. I fix other people’s problems and shove mine away in a deep dark sinkhole and never, ever let them resurface.


So, imagine my surprise when all these unfamiliar emotions came rushing up to the surface and I didn’t know how to handle them or what to do about them. Normally, I would write. Writing is very therapeutic for me. But no words came to me. Nothing. I was an empty well. A very, dried up empty well in the middle of Death Valley on the hottest day of the year. I would stare at the computer screen or notebook paper and it would be completely blank.  


Then I would cry!


I knew I had to fix this and get back to my old self. I had to. There are a lot of people that count on me and I couldn’t let them down. Not to mention, living in such a haze wouldn’t be good for my health or my future self.


My first thought: drink some wine. However, at the ripe age of 39, I knew that wouldn’t work. My second thought: there must be on book on this sort of … thing. Right? Maybe something about turning a year older and losing all your creativity. Something had to be out there, right? Right?


Thank you, Amazon!


Suddenly, panic hit me … I was in the world of self-help and self-improvement books! And it was scary. I mean. Stephen King-full-moon-hide-under-the-blanket type of scary. There were millions of options... literally! Where do I begin?  Is there a beginning?  What do I search for? If I put in: 39-year-old overweight female losing her mojo, what book would come up? Would it have the word loser in the title?


I’m a fixer. I’m not the type of person to ask for help, not even in an eBook format. I had to push these feeling away and forget about ... well, whatever this is. But nothing was working. Nothing and I couldn’t fall any further down this sinkhole.


Finding my strength (or what little bit there was) I dived into Amazon and searched until I found a section suited to my needs.


There were two books that jumped off the page for me.




You know her, right? She’s the author who wrote Eat, Pray, Love. (Full disclosure: I did not like that book. I tried at least four times to read it and never made it through.) Therefore, seeing this book had me on the fence. I mean, what does this author know about my situation. Come on! She’s loading up her trunk with money from all her book sales. (More disclosure: I’m never this bitter! But I was at that time). Nonetheless, I read the reviews and people seemed overly pleased about this book, so I thought … why not? Couldn’t hurt, right?


And I clicked purchase on the audiobook.




If there was ever a title that a person needed at the lowest point of their life … this was the one. I had heard of Jen Sincero from others in the author community, but I was never read anything she had written. Albeit, I took their word that she was amazing.


And I clicked purchase on the audiobook.


On February 1st, I popped in my ear buds while I was at the office and turned on Jen Sincero’s book first. As I’m typing out the latest list of motions that were handed down from the boss, I suddenly became lost in Ms. Sincero’s words. Like … seriously consumed. It was as if was speaking directly to me and not just through earbuds. Everything I felt at that time … she had too! And somehow, made it through.


She made it through!


It felt as if the steel wall around the creative part of my brain had begun to be chipped away. It wasn’t gone... but chipped. Plus, I had smiled for the first time in (close to) a month. A real smile, not the fake one I had been giving to others.


On February 2nd, I laid on my couch, still thinking of Ms. Sincero’s book, Netflix playing, and a huge bowl of potato chips on my chips. Chomping away through the new season of Medici. *chop* *chop* I should have been writing, but – again – no words were coming. I didn’t even bother to open my laptop because I didn’t want to feel the disappointment.  Instead of sulking, I listened to Ms. Sinero’s audiobook. (I even took some notes and placed them around my desk.) Afterwards, I felt better.


I opened my laptop, ready for the words to come … and … NOTHING! A BIG OL’ ZERO!


Moving away from the desk, I went back on the couch (this time with a bowl of popcorn) and finished Medici. (Very good, btw!) 


I decided to turn off the TV and popped in the good ol’ ear buds and started Big Magic.


From the first word until the last, I didn’t move from my couch. Tears filled me again, the good kind this time. Ms. Gilbert’s words knocked down that unbreakable steel wall. It felt like I had been found. Okay, that’s a bit out there, but I was found. My mojo came back, the world was bright and happy, and I was myself. Not completely, but much more than the six hours before I started her book.


I grabbed my husband and told him everything! Everything on how I was feeling, my disappointments with my weight and book sales, the weight on my shoulders and how I was sinking and couldn’t find any air. In his sweet (but don’t I said that) style, he hugged me and told me he was there for me and I needed to talk to him more.


And he’s right. (Please don’t tell him that either!)


Since February 2nd, I have started my life anew. I joined Weight Watchers and have since lost 5 pounds. (Might not sound like a lot, but I’m pleased with it.) I have sat down at my desk every night and wrote out chapter outlines. Now, this is something very new to me because – normally – I just dive in writing the last chapter and building a story around it. With me have a plan, I feel better equipped in tackling the next several books I want to release in 2019.


I purchased Big Magic in paperback and have highlighted passages most meaningful to my current situation. I even purchased You Are A Badass and done the same.


Even though I never thought I would be the type of person to ever be in the Self-Improvement section, I’m glad I did do it. I shouldn’t be ashamed of asking for help or seeking advice. Albeit, through Amazon or not. I’m a human and when I have a large amount of problems weighing down on me, I need help. I should never think I can handle it all on my own.


I love to make lists and there are a lot that don’t have one thing crossed off, but not anymore. I have goals for 2019 (even if I’m starting on January 1). I can complete them! And it’s okay if they’re not done in just a week. I must remind myself that self-gratification isn’t a real thing. Everything takes time.


The point of this (very long) rambling was to say, self-help and self-improvement do help and it’s okay to ask for help.



 -- Mary S.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite movies and why I love them so much!

Book Review: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Announcement of a New Series...